Saint Andre Program
Who was St. André?
The only current saint to come from the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Andre Bessette was a humble man who led a remarkable life of service. Referred to as “God’s Doorkeeper”, Br. Andre overcame extraordinary obstacles and moved forward with hope. At Moreau Catholic we strive to inspire students to become the living legacy of St. Andre in our community, to keep moving forward with hope, despite any obstacles that may exist.
What is the St. André program?
The St. Andre Program is a special pathway which supports students of great academic promise in achieving the college preparatory standards of our school. St. Andre scholars are Mariners who take a rigorous course load each year and are encouraged to participate fully in our rich extracurricular life.
What kind of support is available?
Support is scaffolded over the 4-year high school experience, with an emphasis on ensuring the successful transition to high school. Further support, and full inclusion in our Mariner program, promotes the empowerment and transformation of each individual student.
- Summer Bridge classes focusing on Math, Science, and English Language Arts readiness the summer before 9th grade
- Study Skills class in 9th grade to focus on executive functioning skills such as organization, note taking, and communication with teachers
- Opportunity to take Guided study classes after 9th grade for additional homework time and support
- Opportunity to take Algebra 1A/ 1B math pathway in 9th-10th grade to solidify foundational algebraic skills, including an opportunity to take a free Geometry summer bridge class after 10th grade for advancement to Algebra 2 in 11th grade
- Mentoring with experienced and caring faculty/staff members, including placement in an Advisory Group (multi-grade level groups) led by a faculty/staff member to build relationships and support them through their high school years
- Consideration for a special St. Andre scholarship upon graduation
How are students selected for the program?
Incoming Frosh are identified for the St. Andre Program by the Admissions Committee after a comprehensive review of standardized test scores, grades, teacher recommendations, and interviews.
Who can I contact for more information?
Ms. Kristin Hannon ’02
Assistant Principal of Instruction