Vice President of Advancement
We seek a colleague who will bring the strategic, collaborative, and energetic leadership experience necessary for Moreau Catholic High School to build on its tradition of outstanding achievement while elevating its profile and increasing the philanthropic engagement and support of all community members.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President of Advancement is a key member of the President’s Executive Leadership Team and ensures best practices are in place that effectively and efficiently advance the mission, values, and strategic goals of the school through the collaborative efforts of the advancement, alumni, and marketing and communications team members. The Vice President of Advancement is a results-driven fundraising and alumni relations professional with a strong track record of success.
With the partnership and support of the President, the Vice President of Advancement will establish priorities, objectives, measurable outcomes, and best practices for a comprehensive institutional advancement program that will include strategic marketing; intentional relationship-building; alumni and parent engagement; major, endowed, and planned giving; foundation support; annual fund; corporate and business support; volunteer engagement, and community outreach. The Vice President of Advancement will establish and administer policies and procedures that maintain the highest level of stewardship in overseeing the investment and use of gifts. In partnership with the President and the Board of Trustees, the Vice President of Advancement will provide critical leadership to capital campaigns to support the strategic priorities of the school.
This highly relational leader will build a culture of outstanding achievement and accountability within the Advancement team to ensure all community members are cultivated, honored, and engaged. This leader will relentlessly pursue organizational goals, learn from experience, and help us improve, building capacity and trust as we elevate Moreau Catholic’s profile in the community. The Vice President of Advancement will be supported by a team of student-centered, mission-driven colleagues in the functional areas of marketing and advancement who are empowering the next generation of leaders while strengthening our organizational systems and processes. We look forward to welcoming and working alongside a new leader who will instantiate our Holy Cross values and lead Moreau Catholic High School’s growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Vice President of Advancement position includes duties related to the leadership of advancement initiatives, programmatic evaluation, and team cultivation/ staff management.
Leadership of Advancement Initiatives
- Crafts a vision, implementation strategies, and performance measures to develop a comprehensive advancement program and achieve annual fundraising goals. Ensures proper metrics are in place to evaluate development activities and staff, and identifies opportunities to improve results.
- Works closely with the President to assist with “leadership gift” prospecting, cultivation, and solicitation for single and multi-year resource development, including early stages of capital campaigns. Personally meets with donors, foundations, and community partners to cultivate engagement. Partners with the Board on all aspects of philanthropy and non-gift revenue opportunities.
- Leads the effective operation of all fundraising/development/alumni/marketing activities per annual and long-term goals.
- Leads, creates, and executes an advancement strategy aligned with the School’s Board-approved strategic plan and includes various fundraising projects/initiatives for annual, major, planned, and endowment gifts, corporate and foundation relations, special events, marketing, alumni engagement, and strategic partnership development.
- Oversees day to day planning and implementation of a campaign currently in the Quiet Phase.
- Use data and research to evaluate, strengthen, and enhance existing individual giving (annual, major, principal, and planned), and corporate and foundation relations programs. Develop, implement, and measure the success of new and innovative plans to systematically and strategically identify and acquire prospective individual and institutional donors; increase donor retention; and upgrade and renew existing donors.
- Ensure that Moreau Catholic High School accesses the time, talent, and treasure of its large alumni community. Use data and research to drive a plan to increase alumni engagement. Lead the team in creating alumni programming and engagement opportunities that support the growth and success of Moreau Catholic today.
- Maintain and strengthen existing parent, alumni, and parents of alumni relationships while proactively seeking to engage and build relationships with other untapped alumni and parents. Encourage and build alumni and parent participation in philanthropy, seeking to increase both the number of gifts and their size. Pioneer new and innovative techniques to connect with alumni, parents, and friends across generations with a keen eye for increasing participation among younger alumni groups.
- Analyze the current campaign, understand its success, and recognize untapped opportunities. In preparation for the next campaign, evaluate the philanthropic capacity of all constituencies, identify areas for growth, strategically augment development staff and resources, and craft fundraising strategies to raise sights and involvement of volunteers and donors at all levels.
- Personally cultivate, solicit, and steward a select prospect portfolio. Lead the frontline fundraising team by example, demonstrating success and ensuring that timely steps are taken toward solicitation.
Team Cultivation & Staff Management
- Lead, support, and mentor the advancement staff, promoting a culture of excellence, collaboration, and professional growth, as well as a commitment to Holy Cross values.
- Oversee advancement personnel activities, including the hiring, training, and defining of job functions as well as the performance review processes for the team. Enhance clarity of goals and provide professional development for advancement staff.
- Set clear direction, priorities, and measurable goals for advancement. Assess current staff effectiveness and overall organizational structure; create and nurture a culture of transparency, communication, and collaboration. Ensure that all staff members have a common commitment to being an ambassador for and advancing Moreau Catholic.
- Promote excellence and an environment of achievement by placing staff members’ work within the context of Moreau Catholic’s mission and strategic priorities. Ensure that staff members execute effective moves management strategies that result in meaningful engagement and successful solicitation of prospects.
- Maintain a leadership style that is fair, equitable, open, and flexible, and one that is capable of inspiring, empowering, and motivating staff. Foster a work environment that encourages cooperation toward shared goals, promotes teamwork, reduces siloes, and retains staff.
Qualifications and Qualities
- Passion for Catholic education with knowledge of the Holy Cross charism
- Bachelor’s degree in business, leadership, education, or relevant field. An advanced degree in business, leadership, education, or other relevant field is preferred.
- Proven leader fueled by the desire, energy, and professionalism needed to help Moreau Catholic High School grow
- Successful experience or demonstrated talent in executive leadership, institutional advancement, strategic planning, capital campaign implementation, and marketing
- Experience in effectively and joyfully leading people in a variety of roles to foster teamwork, transparency, and collaboration
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills that will inspire support, involvement, and investment in the school’s philanthropic initiatives
- Accessible and approachable leadership style while being extremely visible and interactive on campus, at school events, and off-campus functions representing the school
- Ability to establish rapport and trust with a diverse campus community including the Brothers of the Holy Cross, Board of Trustees, Diocesan leaders, parents, students, alumni communities, foundation and community partners
- Excellent multitasker with an energetic, driving personality that proactively propels partnerships internally in the school and externally in the community
- History of working closely with foundations, foundation boards, and community partners to write grants, steward gifts, and build meaningful beneficial relationships
- Ability to facilitate and increase engagement with alumni, foundation partners, corporate partners, and community members.
$140,000 - $200,000
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following materials confidentially as separate PDF attachments in one e-mail to email@example.com.
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee expressing interest that details reasons for perceived fit;
- Current resume with Education, Experience, and Related Professional Experience;
- List of five references with names, phone numbers, and email addresses for each— references will be contacted only with the candidate’s permission.
Human Resources Manager
Moreau Catholic High School
27170 Mission Boulevard, Hayward, CA 94544
Moreau Catholic High School is an Equal Opportunity Employer